All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
How to Understand the Bible
1. What is one condition that God sets forth for understanding the Bible?
Read: Mathew 11:25, 1 Corinthians 3:18-20, 1 Corinthians 1:26-31
Answer: We must be humble and willing to learn.
2. What is a second condition that God gives for understanding the Bible?
Read: Isaiah 28:9-10, 1 Corinthians 2:13, Luke 24:27-44
Answer: We must let the Bible speak for itself by comparing scripture with scripture. We should study everything on a subject to make sure we are not misinterpreting a given subject.
3. What is a third condition for understanding the Bible?
Read: John 16:13, 1 Corinthians 2:10-14
Answer: We must ask the Holy Spirit to guide us.
4. What is a fourth condition God sets forth for understanding the Bible?
Read: 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12, Hebrews 4:12, Romans 1:28
Answer: We must really want to know and believe the truth.
5. What is the fifth condition God gives for understanding the Bible?
Read: Jeremiah 29:13, Matthew 5:6, Isaiah 44:3
Answer: We must really search the truth. Even if we have all the true principles for studying the Bible, if we do not spend sufficient time for studying, we will not find God’s truth for today.
6. What is the sixth condition for understanding the Bible?
Read: John 8:31-32, John 7:17, Matthew 13:12, Matthew 7:24-27
Answer: We must follow what we already know to be truth. Why should God reveal more truth to us if we are not willing to follow what He has already revealed to us?